Thursday, February 18, 2016

Why I support Tim Cook and Apple's decision to not create a backdoor to their products to break security.

OK, I have to add this to yesterday's post (on Facebook) about my position on Apple's refusal to create a back door to hack their own products. If you haven't read it, Tim Cook's position is here

It's a long story, so I won't go into all the details here, but I personally had an iPhone 4 that we owned get COMPLETELY LOCKED by Apple because we forgot the password. It was a brick, completely useless. For the year prior it worked but we were completely locked out of iCloud. Yes, I was mad, frustrated, and after talking to three Apple supervisors, I told them that this was "the most un-Apple thing I've ever come across". 
But in the end, I also told them "if I've learned one thing from this experience, it is how good Apple's security is!"
And because of this, I went to Apple headquarters in November and purchased Apple's costliest iPhone. I have many passwords and most of my credit cards on this iPhone, as well as my iPad and Apple computers. I know Apple would t dare offer to store this information with millions of clients if they couldn't guarantee the security. 
Have you ever had a credit card replaced because the information that the credit card company has was compromised? 
The U.S. government has already proven that it can't be trusted with our personal data with the NSA mess. Again, I applaud Apple for it's stance. APPLE IS NOT REFUSING TO SHARE INFORMATION IT HAS! They are simply refusing to compromise the privacy of millions of customers. It's not a matter of just one iPhone, because if they do this once, it creates a precedent for hundreds and thousands of requests.

No comments: